It’s amazing to think that when I started the #quiltblockstohealviolence project, I had hoped for 30 Tic Tac Toe Blocks so that I could make one quilt! With over 120 quilts under our belt and the drive to handcraft and donate plenty more, I have provided information below about how and what to donate!
If you are a quilter
Quilts for this project are made and donated to women and children living in domestic violence refuges and safe houses across Australia. These women and their kids have often left home with only the clothes on their back and a couple of small items. To come to a refuge where there are gorgeous, handmade quilts waiting to comfort them will be a real blessing.
If you would like to make a quilt, we would be delighted to accept finished quilts in a variety of sizes – for small children, teenagers and lap size for women.
40 inches x 48 inches
Bright colours, I Spy Quilts, Animals, Rainbows etc
48 inches x 60 inches
Bold and bright colours, geometric blocks etc
60 inches x 72 inches or 72 inches x 84 inches
Bright rainbow colours, geometric blocks – let you imagination really take flight
Each quilt should be made from 100% cotton fabric, with a pieced top and must include wadding and be backed, quilted and bound.
If you would like to donate a quilt top, it would be great if you could also include fabric to back the quilt so that I can arrange for it to be quilted.
If you’re a long arm quilter
If you are a long arm quilter who enjoys helping with charity quilts and would like to offer your services, then please contact me directly at email@example.com
You’re help will be greatly appreciated!
If you don’t quilt
Don’t sew or quilt but want to contribute in some way? Here is how you could help out:
- Buy a Spotlight voucher and send to me. These can be used for things like thread, batting/wadding, backing fabric, rotary blades and quilting supplies
- Donations of fabric and batting / wadding are all welcome. If you plan to donate fabric it needs to be quilting quality cotton and the wadding needs to be cotton or cotton/bamboo mix
- Spread the word about the project to all your sewing and quilting friends, or share this blog on Facebook and Instagram. Maybe someone you know would like to make a quilt!
- Australia post 3kg and 5kg pre-paid satchels are hugely useful for when I need to send a quilt to a longarm quilter or when gifting to a domestic violence refuge
- Lastly, cash donations are warmly welcomed. This will help me to buy batting, rotary cutters, thread and other essentials (the costs of which I am largely covering myself). This is especially useful for when I receive quilt tops which need to have batting and backing attached and quilted/bound. Cash donations can be made by cheque, money order or direct deposit via paypal – please contact me for details. Even small amounts are greatly appreciated.
Where to send
Quilts, quilt tops, supplies etc can be sent to me at the below address:
PO Box 900, Gisborne, VIC 3437
Thanks so much for your support.